Since, I stopped the oil cleansing method I was pretty disappointed. I didn't want to use chemicals on my face. But, I also didn't have any alternatives. I've tried out this new skincare routine for about 4 months now. And now, my skin is clear, breakouts have drastically decreased, scars have disappeared, bright and even skin tone. Alhamdullilah! I took this long to update my skincare routine because I wanted to make sure it actually works. This is a basic minimal, hassle-free routine.
Step 1: Face washA few months ago I went and searched for the gentlest face wash I could find that didn't contain sulfates which are detergents.
Almost all face washes I came across contained sulfates. I wanted something very mild. At first sight of this face wash by VLCC I knew I found what I was looking for. This face wash is soap-free and the key ingredients are witch hazel, rose water, algae, honey and mulberry extract. I've been using this face wash for months so I can attest that it is actually a great product. It's very mild. My skin doesn't feel stripped after washing my face. It removes all the dirt and makeup effectively. It is excellent for daily cleansing because it is so mild. I really love this face wash. I think VLCC has some great products. If you're looking for something that is gentle, try out this one.
Step 2: TonerI'm still using the Apple cider vinegar toner. This toner has made all the changes in my skin. I hardly break out any more. My pores have gotten smaller. Sometimes when I don't feel like using ACV I just spritz some rose water on my face. I have a little spray bottle filled with rose water. I loveeeeeeeeeee rose water. If you are not into vinegar, then please buy a bottle of rose water and use that. Your skin will love it. I alternate between the two. But, I love them both as a toner.
Here are a few other posts I've written about Apple cider vinegar.
Apple Cider Vinegar Toner Infused With Orange & Lemon Peels For Brighter Skin
Apple Cider Vinegar For Acne, Scars & Clogged Pores
Step 3: MoisturizeLast step is to lock in all the moisture before going to sleep. I use sunflower oil. Even though I stopped oil cleansing, I didn't stop using sunflower oil. Castor oil made me breakout not sunflower oil. Sunflower oil is amazing for your skin. It will not cause acne. Because, it is 0% comedogenic. It will let your skin breathe!
Here are some of the benefits of sunflower oil for skin.
1. Due to its emollient properties, sunflower oil helps the skin retain its moisture. Sunflower oil is extremely high in Vitamin E in comparison to other skincare products like almond oil or shea butter. Vitamin E is essential for preventing damage to skin cells by ultraviolet light or UVA from the sun. Vitamin E improves the appearance and health of your skin through prevention of scarring and smoothing of existing wrinkles.
2. Sunflower oil is also rich in vitamins A, C and D and healthy carotenoids and waxes which form a protective barrier on the skin. Thus, this oil is effective in the treatment of acne. Being exceptionally light and non-greasy, it gets absorbed into the skin easily without clogging or blocking the pores. Its range of vitamins and fatty acids act as antioxidants to regenerate skin cells and help the skin get rid of acne causing bacteria.
3. The antioxidant properties of sunflower oil help in preventing premature signs of aging. Exposure to free radicals and sunlight increases the rate of aging of skin, causing the occurrence of wrinkles and fine lines at an early age. The antioxidants in sunflower oil lower the risk of developing premature signs of aging.
4. Being naturally emollient, sunflower oil improves your skin’s moisture retention capacity and is beneficial for individuals with dry, dehydrated or sensitive skin.
7. Sunflower seed oil is an oil of fine quality as it is light in texture and extremely suitable for eye and skin care. It is suitable for normal to dry skin and is increasingly used in aromatherapy because of its mild scent and light texture. It is used in skin products and creates a soft feel on the skin.
You can research more about it. There's a lot of information out there. This oil is my favorite to moisturize. I use it after the toner. I apply dabs of it around my eyes and then all over the face, lips and neck. I love how soft my skin feels and looks in the morning. Sunflower oil has also helped in fading of my scars. Sunflower oil is known to brighten the skin. My lips also look pinker. I have so many good things to say about this oil but I will stop now.
So, that is my basic everyday skincare. But, once or twice a week I exfoliate and apply a mask.
Weekly Scrub & Mask:To exfoliate I use the Himalaya Apricot Scrub. I really like this scrub. It effectively clears away all the dead skin and trapped pores. I use this twice a week or whenever I feel I need deep cleansing.
Lastly, I use a face mask once a week. I use Rhassoul clay. I wrote about this a while ago, you can read about it here. Poreless Beautiful Skin Secret | Homemade & Moroccan Skincare